Monday, November 23, 2009

Introduction


Hi, I'm Monica.

The purpose of this blog is to help people cook foods that will enhance their well-being.  By well-being I am speaking of physical health as well as psychological and spiritual health.  I strongly believe that what and how you eat determines more about your health than nearly any other factor.  Learning to cultivate good eating and cooking habits is paramount for anyone wishing to improve their lives.

A bit about me...
From day one I was considered a 'good eater'.  I ate a lot as a kid (as children often do).  I was lucky enough to have a mom who was concerned with keeping me on a healthy diet and a grandmother with a penchant for gracious Southern cooking.  Between the two of them they kept me happy and well-fed with a diet of lots of healthy and wholesome foods, much of which came from our garden.  Though I loved eating, I never really gave much thought to learning to cook.  What I did learn was how people showed their love through cooking for family and friends.

As I grew older I ventured away from my sugar-free upbringing and began to experiment with soda and candy instant ramen noodles.  Luckily I'm one of those people with a slim build and high metabolism.  I could eat all the junk food I wanted without a care.  In fact many people told me growing up that I would be able to eat whatever I wanted for the rest of my life without gaining weight.  I thought that was wonderful and so I didn't really think to much about nutrition or eating well.  I just ate whatever tasted good... in vast quantities.

When I was in high school I decided to become vegetarian for ecological and compassionate reasons.  The thought of being able to feed an entire hungry world with just vegetables and grains was very appealing to me.  However I learned over time that being vegetarian was not necessarily the best way to feed myself.  I decided to experiment with food and diet to find the right answer for me.

In the beginning I was a strict ovo-lacto vegetarian.  This lasted for several years.  I tried to eat a balanced and nutritious diet, but I wasn't a great cook and I ate a lot of junk food.  I went through occasional periods where I took dietary supplements, but as I hate swallowing pills, I would always give up on that.  I gave veganism a try while in college (and conveniently worked at a vegan restaurant).  I liked being vegan and found it wasn't as difficult as I had expected.  However I eventually caved in to a grilled cheese sandwich and found it so delicious I could never go back.  :)  After returning to ovo-lacto vegetarian, I eventually decided that I should include fish and shellfish in my diet since it was such a pain to find something to eat at a nice restaurant.  However I never cooked anything other than vegetarian meals for myself.  This continued for several years.

I didn't notice it at the time, but my health had suffered as a result of not eating an optimal diet.  I was anemic for quite a while despite my best efforts.  I suffered from hypoglycemia.  I was almost painfully thin despite how much I ate.  I suffered from depression and mood swings.  By the time I was 26 I had such severe stomach issues that I could barely eat a meal without abdominal pain.  My wonderful doctor, a naturopath, attempted to help me get back on the right path.  Her suggestion: start eating meat.

I was horrified.  For almost 12 years I had refused to eat chicken, pork or red meat and what she said opposed a major component of my identity.  Initially I refused to hear her.  Over time I grew so desperate I gave her suggestion a try.

Eventually I started to eat meat again and indeed my health did improve.  I still have a way to go to find the perfect solution to my health troubles, but every day I feel like I get a little closer.

I think there are many factors that contributed to my improved health, but it was letting go of some of my dearly-held convictions and doing something that was right for my body that changed my situation most.  The other greatest factor was learning to cook well for myself, my family and my friends.

I hope that through reading this blog, you can help yourself to find the solution to some of the issues you may be having in your life.  I can't promise that a good diet and better cooking skills will improve everything, but there is nothing like feeding yourself and those you love with nutritious, delicious food you've made yourself.  Good cooking is its own reward; Thus is the gospel of good cooking.

Thanks for reading!

- Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails